We are a Pontifical Congregation of indigenous African women founded in 1910, (a 100 years ago), by the late Archbishop Henry Streicher in Masaka Catholic Diocese, Uganda East African. We consecrate ourselves to God through public vows of Chastity, Poverty and Obedience and strive to endeavour to work for the diffusion of the Kingdom of God and the Salvation of Souls.
Wherever we are; we instruct children, youths’ groups, older people and couples preparing for marriage into the Catholic Church doctrines particularly the catechism. Although we educate, the girl child from nursery up to the university level, some of our schools are mixed with boys.
In hospitals and health centres, we fill with hope to the sick people that Christ is the divine Healer but we are just his instruments. Yet through the social development sector we strive to uplift the life of the marginalized groups in society and to empower both young and old to achieve self sustainability in order to face the many challenges of the modern world positively. All of these ministries are rendered in the spirit of the Motherhood of Mary.
This is the charism or a gift of motherhood which is given to every Sister from the Heavenly Father through the Blessed Mother Mary. For this reason, our Congregation is officially known as Bannabikira (Daughters of Mary) Sisters. Like the Blesses Virgin, we are consecrated women who inherited her giftedness of motherhood and this is a debt we owe to the world which waits patiently for “mothers” like ourselves to bring Christ the World’s Saviour to all the people of God.
(A Map showing where we have spread)